Sextantworks (originally Wanderlust Projects) created expereinces in places you aren’t supposed to be. I co-founded the practice in 2012 with N.D. Austin. For nearly four years, we functioned like a mix between a design studio and a Burning Man camp, creating dozens of site-specific adventures in New York City and abroad.
It all started with the accidental discovery of an abandoned honeymoon resort and a modest Awesome Foundation grant. We garnered a fair bit of attention in the press, attracting high-end, private commissions, among other client work.
Our exploits included:
- a speakeasy in a dry water tower in Manhattan
- annual infiltration scavenger hunts of the Waldorf Astoria hotel
- fundraising innovations for the Alicia Keys Black Ball
- a photo safari in the Domino Sugar Refinery in Brooklyn
- a comprehensive artistic exploration of New York Harbor
- a love motel transformation in São Paulo, Brazil